For most people driving is something that is not a chore but something we do for fun. Especially if we are driving the car of our dreams. No matter whether you are a car enthusiast or just the kind of driver that takes yourself from A-B, there is likely to be an occasional moment of frustration caused by a road user not concentrating or doing the wrong thing.
Here, are some of the most annoying road bad habits on our roads.
1. Roundabout rules - Isn't it funny how some drivers think it is mandatory to stop, even though there are clearly no cars coming. Others don't bother to look at the approaching traffic until they have come to a grinding halt, having missed the gap that was there.
2. Lights, or a lack thereof - it is so frustrating to follow a car with a tail light out.
3. People who make you sit at red lights - The lack of consideration for other road users is bad enough, but the fact that they are not tapping the steering wheel with you while you wait for another sequence of lights is enough to inspire some serious red mist.
4. Those who can't merge - It shouldn't be that tricky, but the art of feeding two lanes into one manages to stump so many South Africans.
5. Right-lane hogs - Anyone who has driven overseas will know how disciplined drivers are with staying out of the fast lane. On multi-lane roads there is a very clear increase in speed from the left lane (the slow lane when driving on the left side of the road) and the faster lanes. In this country you will always find someone oblivious to their rear-vision mirror and intent on holding up traffic.
6. Drivers who don't look ahead - Anticipation is a large part of driving. By looking as far as possible down the road, you will be better prepared for imminent stops or changing traffic conditions, all the while relying heavily on your peripheral vision to keep you informed as to what is going on closer to your car's bonnet.
7. Drivers who don't indicate - Those flashing orange lights on each end and side of your car can be a wonderful way to let those around you know what you are planning to do, but some drivers seem to prefer the yet-to-be-perfected art of mental telepathy to inform fellow motorists what they are up to.
8. People who speed up when you try to overtake them - It is not only dangerous and stupid, but illegal, yet it doesn't stop people from deciding that your wish to travel a little bit faster should not be granted.
9. Those who don't creep out when turning right - Why do some drivers like red lights? One of the giveaways is when turning right in busy traffic and some drivers decide they are not likely to get a gap, so they stay at the stop line in the intersection awaiting another red light, and another, and another.
10. People who swing right to turn left - We have all seen it plenty of times - the driver who decides they need another half-lane to their right before swinging into a driveway or side street.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all followed the appropriate rules and were courteous to each other when we are on the road? Lets at least try.