Fabrica Café in Sunningdale presented a cheque valued at R22 500 to Pink Drive Cancer Awareness. Owner Tome De Carvalho, who handed over the cheque, spoke of the need for every business to support local charities.
"We are very proud to be associated with Pink Drive," Said Tome, "We have made a commitment to making the 'Celebrating Women in Art' event an annual happening and we are hoping that next year more and more businesses will join us to support worthy causes in our province."
The cheque was handed to KZN Pink Drive's Janice Benecke and nurse Michelle Pillay. Janice said; "This cheque will serve many uninsured women in our province. It will allow me to get to the communities where women do not have access to medical advice or carethis will help with the pap smears and breast examinations, which hopefully will lead to early detections and saving lives.
PinkDrive has five principal interventions through its flagship programmes,PinkDriveandMore Balls Than Most, channelled through mobile point-of-contact service delivery by skilled certificated medical and nursing practitioners, and they are namely:
1. Clinical Breast Exams: A mass screening service provided to woman and men of all ages. This service includes one-on-one cancer education focusing on self-examinations as well as a breast examination.
2. Mammograms: A select screening service primarily provided for woman over the age of 40, unless a Doctor refers them for a mammogram.
3. Pap Smears: Cervical Cancer Screening.
4. Prostate Specific Antigen Test (PSA): These tests are a form of rapid testing for men above the age of 40 years old. They are administered by testing an adequate sample of blood taken from a subject.
5. Prostate and Testicular Cancer Awareness and Education: At all activations, More Balls Than Most sets up information booths and supplies information flyers to educate the public about Prostate and Testicular Cancer.