2. Tea was officially introduced to England by the young Portuguese wife of Charles II, Catherine of Braganza, in 1662.
3. Twinings has been part of our daily lives, and the lives of generations of tea lovers for over 300 years.
4. In 1706 Thomas Twining bought Tom's Coffee House on London's Strand and started the world famous tea business.
5. In the same year, Twinings Gunpowder Green Tea was selling for a price that is equivalent today in the UK to more than £160 for 100g!!!
6. In 1837, Queen Victoria granted Twinings its first Royal Warrant for tea - she appointed Twinings as supplier of teas to her household. Twinings has had the honour of continuing this tradition right up until the present day.
7. Thomas Twining's son, Daniel, was the first Twining to export tea. His ledgers show that in1749, Twinings tea was being exported to America.
8. Richard Twining, who took over from his mother in 1771, played an instrumental role as Chairman of the London Tea Dealers in the implementation of the Commutation Act of 1784, which slashed tea taxes and at last made tea affordable to all.
9. In 1910 Twinings opens its first shop in France
10. Twinings first blends its famous English Breakfast Tea in 1933
11. Twinings tea bags saw the light of day in 1956
12. Today Twinings has around 500 varieties, and our teas are consumed all over the world.
13. Twinings expert blenders taste more than 3,000 cups of tea every week!
14. Twinings was the first company to create their famous Earl Grey blend in 1831.
15. According to the US Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, "Tea For Two" was the second most performed song of the 20th century, beaten only by "Happy Birthday To You".